5. Enable self help groups to evolve as community based organizations which would
harness tributaries of local energy for
- Revival of traditional soil and moisture conservation measures
- Protection of bio-diversity in village catchment areas
And thereby reverse the ‘tragedy of the commons’.
6. Enable clusters of community based organizations to work in tandem with the state
regarding protection and conservation of larger catchment areas (under the jurisdiction
of the latter), which directly impact the hydrology of river basins.
We at Grassroots assist communities achieve the Millennium Development Goals as well
as mitigate and adapt to the pressures of Climate Change.
Our Specific Objectives are to:
1. Increase the per capita availability of potable drinking water through infiltration
2. Reduce the pressure on fragile springs through rooftop rainwater harvesting in
order to increase the availability of water for other domestic purposes.
3. Break the cycle of water borne diseases through sanitary facilities for 100% of
households in the community.
4. Access clean and renewable domestic energy for cooking through household biogas
units and thereby reduce the biotic pressure on precious forest resources as well
as impact on the health of the family.
8. Promote livelihood improvement opportunities and support the establishment of
producer-organisations which would supplement incomes through value addition to local
9. Build on the capacity of people at various levels in order to develop leadership:
Women-in-panchayats, Barefoot Engineers and Hdrologists, Youth as change-makers
at the grassroots
10. Document and disseminate information to enable key stakeholders/policy makers
to participate in the process of change and development at the grassroots.
11. Network with NGOs as partners-in-change for consolidating the gains of appropriate
technology applications, which directly improve the quality of life.
7. Impact upon the food security scenario through sustained improvements in the flow
of nature’s bounty and changes in land use and livestock management.